Wednesday, April 3, 2013

So What The #@^% Is "Slow-Tech", Anyway?


This excerpt from Chapter 2 of Alien Law
might shed some light on
Nevada's "slow-tech"
approach.


“I have to call Carl right away,” Nevada said as he and Ms. McGill disembarked from the train. “Can I use your phone?”
“Well, of course, but don't you have one? I mean, shouldn't you?”
“Yes, Ms. McGill, I have one but it's old and the service is limited and won't usually work outside the metro Philly area. I'm what's known as 'slow-tech', which is of endless fascination to my clients for some reason.”
“Slow-tech? I'm afraid I don't know what that is. You mean low-tech?”
“No. It means I don't, or rather won't, upgrade. I have a cell phone, a computer, a television, but all vintage machines, as it were. I resist the latest generations, the newest software enhancements and so forth. A fact that many people find incongruous with my line of work, but I find just the opposite. I'm not quite Amish, although I do enjoy a nice buggy ride. Did you not notice my digital watch with the green, segmented LED numbers?”
“I did, actually, but I just thought it was some sort of retro fashion statement.”
“Ah, good! Retro-tech! Maybe I'll use that term to describe my relationship to technology instead of 'slow-tech'. A better connotation, I think. In any case, we need to get together with Carl as soon as possible. He's in Baltimore. I believe he can be very helpful to us.”

Copyright © 2013 EK Gillcoan

No comments:

Post a Comment